Regular attendance even in Nursery is crucial to each child’s educational development and at Southwick Community Primary School we recognise our part in assisting parents to meet their obligations in this respect.
If your child is sick or away from school for any reason, please contact the school office and let us know at once. This is especially important as the school is legally required to report reasons for absence. If we do not receive any word you will be issued with an absence letter which must be complete and returned immediately, otherwise absences will be recorded as unauthorised.
If you need to take your child out of school during the day it is very important that you:
- Let us know in advance (speak to the main office)
- Come to collect your child; children can not be allowed to meet you off school property.
- For any appointments a copy of the appointment card or letter must be produced on collection and children are to be signed out of premises.
Authorised or Unauthorised Absences
Absences can only be authorised by your child’s school. Legitimate reasons for absence, including the following, may be authorised only by your child’s school:
- Medical or dental appointments (where possible these should be arranged outside of school hours)
- Days of religious observance
- Exceptional family circumstances e.g. bereavement
The following absences will not be authorised:
- Looking after the house
- Looking after brothers, sisters or sick relatives
All children of compulsory school age (between 5 and 16) are to receive an education. As parents/carers you are responsible for ensuring your child receives an education. You face criminal prosecution if your child fails to attend regularly and punctually at the school where she/he is registered. Prosecutions may results in fines of up to £2,500 and/or the possibility of up to three months imprisonment. Courts may, at their discretion, impose a parenting order or direct the Local Authority to apply for an Education Supervision order which puts a child of compulsory school age, who is not properly being educated, under Local Authority supervision.
It is extremely important that children come to school on time each day. Registration is taken at 8.55a.m.
Doors will be locked promptly at 8.55a.m.
If your child is late then they must sign in at the schools main entrance.
A lateness slip will be issued which must be completed with reasons for lateness.
These will be monitored very closely.